church house

Originally an ale house, then used variously as a work house and a school, Church House is a Grade II* listed building used for private functions, village meetings and art exhibitions. Dating from 1515 it was restored in 1908 with significant additional work completed in the late twentieth century.

LCA were appointed to design and co-ordinate upgrading of the heating, lighting and general facilities without compromising the quality of the existing interior. The scheme addressed the needs of the community to use the building as a gallery and meeting space while at the same time respecting its historic fabric. The scope of the works required close liaison with the committee, cost control and regular reporting.

As with any alteration to a listed building, but even more so when funds are limited, the task of reconciling modern building regulation requirements with a historic building requires a sensitive touch and a bit of lateral thinking…for example, hanging rods and track lighting with discreet fixings avoided the need for wall or ceiling fixings within the magnificent upper floor.